Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Buried Treasure Found in My Own Closet: Western Publishing Company's "First Stars and Stripes"

"First Stars and Stripes," Western Publishing Company, 1000 pieces, 22 x 28  inches

I thought that all my old puzzles had been lost during the housecleanings that preceded each of several home relocations we have made over the years - BUT LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND!

I went into a closet this afternoon that's located in a room I almost never go into and spotted one of those large plastic storage bins that I haven't opened since they were filled and placed out of sight who-knows-when-ago. Something made me pull the lid off of the bin, and this puzzle was sitting right on top of everything else stored in it. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the time and effort to go through a few more storage bins that we have around the house to see if I managed to save any of the other puzzles I remember having.

This particular puzzle is titled "First Stars and Stripes," and is apparently part of a "Golden Americana Flag Series" that Western Publishing Company was producing as the United States was approaching its bicentennial celebration.  It was actually produced in 1972, making me wonder if the series was spread over three or four years of puzzle-releases. Western Publishing Company even makes note on one end of the box that it is "publisher of Golden Books."

A quick look at what's inside the box indicates that this is a quality puzzle with thick, cleanly cut pieces and sharp colors. The colors are, in fact, brighter than those shown on the cover of the puzzle box. 

I don't really expect to find anymore of my old puzzles around the house, but I know that I won't be able to rest until I check...so I'm off to do just that.

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous find. Now wondering if I should start poking round my own house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just never know what you might find, Cath. This puzzle takes me all the way back to not long after we married (1970). At this point, we had a one-year-old daughter and were still living in rented apartments. It's almost a miracle to put my hands on this one again. Unfortunately, however, nothing else is turning up in my quick check around the house.

      Delete
  2. What a great puzzle, I can't wait to see it assembled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a while, Stacey, but it's back in the to-do stack after almost four decades.

      Delete