Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Goodwill Store Finds: Amish Country, San Francisco, a European Castle, Pencils, Shoes, and a Mystery

"Lancaster County," Milton Bradley, 1000 pieces, 26 x 20 inches

The puzzle pickings at my local Goodwill Stores were a little bit below par last week, but I still managed to pick up a half-a-dozen interesting puzzles, including this Amish scene produced by the Milton Bradley people. The puzzle is a little dark, meaning that it will probably drive me nuts when I get to that dirt area in the foreground. I always seem to have a real problem fitting together large sections of dark pieces, something that doesn't seem to be getting much better with experience.

"Shoes, Shoes, Shoes!," Springbok, 500 pieces, 24 x 30 inches

This Springbok image is not of a subject that I have a whole lot of interest in, but I got the feeling that I was rescuing this one from a certain date with the trash bin if I didn't buy it. The Goodwill folks had failed to tape the box together and I found three loose pieces  on the shelf alongside the puzzle. That means I'm taking a huge chance that other pieces were separated from the box somewhere along the line too, but for a buck, I decided to risk it. (Too, I really like Springbok puzzles.)

"Along for the Ride," Bits & Pieces, 1000 pieces, 20 x 27 inches

I don't see a whole lot of Bits & Pieces puzzles in the shops, so this nice San Francisco image was too good to pass up.  Not a whole lot of color variation in this one, and that generally translates into a tougher than normal puzzle.  We'll see.

"Neuschwanstein Castle," Buffalo, 1000 pieces

I probably should have left this one on the shelf because I have the identical puzzle in 2000-piece size that I haven't worked yet, but for 79 cents I decided to take it home with me. I've been told that the 2000-piece version is really, really difficult, but honestly, this looks like it would be tough no matter what the piece-count.

"Pencil Pushers," Springbok, 500 pieces, 18 x 24 inches

This older Springbok is the companion to the Springbok shoes puzzle shown earlier. They sat side-by-side on the shelf, but this box was taped together as used-puzzle boxes always should be. I like the colors of this one, and I expect that it will be a nice change-of-pace puzzle one of these days.

"Last Chill & Testament," Bepuzzled, 1000 pieces

This is the second of Bepuzzled's mystery puzzles that I've picked up in the past couple of weeks but I still haven't worked one of them. The image on this cover photo is said not to be what the actual puzzle will show...that's part of the mystery to be solved...so I have no real idea what all I'm getting into here. I just hope it's not quite all as dark brown as this image. The puzzle comes also with a 75-page book to read before building the puzzle and solving the book's mystery.

All in all, I suppose this was not a terrible week of puzzle-hunting at the Goodwill shops. I've certainly had better weeks, but I've also had whole weeks where not a single usable puzzle turned up at the three shops I visit regularly. So I'll take it. (And the new week is already shaping up to be a pretty good one.) 

10 comments:

  1. The colored pencils is a great puzzle, not difficult at all really - it's a wonderful "palette cleanser" after a challenging puzzle.

    The shoes look like great fun! I hope all the pieces are there for you; and the San Francisco puzzle is beautiful as well, great finds all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you and your mom are great fans of thrift shop puzzles, Stacey, just like me. I really think I enjoy the daily chase almost as much as building my finds. It's just so much fun to see the older puzzles pop up every so often. You just never know what you might find.

      Delete
  2. We've only ever found one really old one, it was from the WWII era, it had an ad for buying war bonds on the front of the box. I would LOVE to find more older ones, they're so great to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great find, and it's a perfect example of the kind of thing that makes "the hunt" so exciting.

      Delete
  3. Oh, there's my favourite German castle! I've done a winter scene of it and have a lovely 3000 piece one by Trefl to do. There seem to be quite a lot of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I think that castle is on more puzzles than any other single image out there. It's a beautiful picture, for sure. I remember your winter scene puzzle...can't imagine building this one in a 3000-piece version, though. Wow, that would be a task.

      Delete
    2. I think you're probably right. I can remember seeing puzzles of the castle as a teen and I'm now in my 60s and they're still being produced. My puzzle is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trefl-33025-Neuschwanstein-Germany-3000-Piece/dp/B004P0FR7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1529619240&sr=1-1&keywords=3000+piece+jigsaw+puzzle+Neuschwanstein+Castle

      Delete
    3. That's a different look at the castle, not so much of the surrounding forest and a different color tint to the castle itself. I like it.

      Delete
  4. Good choices. I am hoping to find a colored pencil puzzle in my thrift store adventures. My first love is puzzles. But I love to color when I need a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a puzzle the other day that could be colored before it was broken up to be worked, although I assume someone would be even more challenged by trying to work it in black and white. It was at a Goodwill store that was selling it for four bucks...never opened. I was tempted but it seemed to "different" for me.

      Delete