Saturday, June 9, 2018

Goodwill Store Finds: Three Very Different Puzzles (Peony Press, Ravensburger, & Mega)

"Children's Games," Peony Press, 1000 pieces, 20 x 28 inches

As regards finding puzzles at thrift shops, June has not been a particularly kind month so far. I am, however, pleased that two of the three puzzles I've acquired this way feature images that I really like - and I expect that they will make for excellent puzzle-building experiences.

I found the one directly above just this morning for $1.50 at the Goodwill Store nearest my house. This never-opened puzzle features a 1560 painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder titled "Children's Games," and appears to be a high quality product in every way. I will only know for sure, of course, when I have explored "Children's Games" more closely. It is a product from a British company I'm unfamiliar with called Peony Press, so I hope that I'm not being overly optimistic. 

"Country Life," Ravensburger, 1000 pieces, 27 x 20 inches

The second image that I really like is featured on this 2005 Ravensburger puzzle that features a nostalgic look at simpler times and lifestyles. I spent much of my childhood summers on the farms of my two sets of Louisiana grandparents, so pictures like this one always bring back good memories for me. This one cost me a dollar at the same Goodwill store already mentioned (the three puzzles came on different days from that store).

"Chinatown," Mega Puzzles, 1000 pieces, 27 x 19 inches

This Mega brand puzzle features an image by Heronim, and although it doesn't appeal to me to the degree that the previous two puzzles do, I found it interesting enough to bring home - especially for its one dollar price tag. I don't think I've ever worked a puzzle by Mega before, so this will be a learning experience for me and will allow me to add another review to my Company Reviews page.

It's still relatively early in the month, so I still have high hopes of bringing home more goodies before month-end. I picked up 22 used puzzles in April and 28 in May, so the pace will really have to pick up if June is going to come close to matching the totals of those two months.


2 comments:

  1. These are all really nice. Particularly like the Bruegel, but Peony Press is completely new to me too and I'm British!I have a Bruegel to do too, it's called 'Proverbs, 1500 pieces, and by Jumbo, never been opened. One of a number a friend gave me who was clearing out all her puzzles.

    I do like the puzzle you're currently doing, 'Venetian View'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cath, all I know about Peony Press is that they show a London address on the box. Someone in one of the Facebook puzzle groups worked this one a month or so ago and I remember thinking about adding it to my wish list at the time...so this was a nice surprise.

    I like "Venetian View" a lot because of its perspective. Puzzle images looking out from the inside of a room don't seem to be very common, and I really like them. I got this one directly from the Jigsaw Puzzle Factory people in exchange for a review...and it's proving to be a little bit of a challenge so far.

    ReplyDelete