Friday, May 18, 2018

Master Pieces: Vintage Puzzles Featuring Children

Artist: Jane Freeman  Painting: "Chums"

All images shown in this post are from a 1998 book titled "Master Pieces: The Art History of Jigsaw Puzzles" by Chris McCann, published by Collectors Press, Inc. of Portland Oregon

I've been looking more and more into puzzles from the past, and I thought I would share some of my favorites here. I have been unsuccessful in finding much information about these particular puzzles, but I'm guessing from their "look" that they probably were produced as Master Pieces puzzles sometime between the 1940s and 1960s.  According to the book, Jane Freeman died in 1963 at 78 years of age, so this one does seem to fit that period. In 1998, McCann valued the puzzle at $20-$30. I have no idea what it might be worth today, but it's puzzles like this one that keep me checking thrift shops and estate sales for bargains...you just never know.

Artist: Anthony Cucchi    Painting: "Unlucky Star"

Research seems to be much easier today than it was in 1998 because the book's author drew a blank on Cucchi and said that "no record" of him could be found. A quick search of Google indicates that  Mr. Cucchi was born in 1900 and died in 1990. His work appeared on numerous puzzles and calendars of the day, and he is now quite collectable. McCann valued this one in the same price range as the first picture.

Artist: Charlotte Becker   Painting: "Ain't She Sweet"
Again, McCann pretty much drew a blank on this artist, but it turns out that she was born in 1907 and died in 1984.  She is known for her artwork featuring babies, and is quite collectable today in the form of prints and posters. McCann valued this one at the same price as the previous two.

Artist: Harold Anderson   Painting: "No Time to Waste"

According to McCann, Anderson was a Boston-born artist who got his training in that city. He lived between 1894 and 1973 and during his career he produced numerous magazine covers and advertisements. This is another $20-$30 puzzle.

Artist: Frances Tipton Hunter   Painting: "Threesome"

McCann tells us that Hunter was born in 1896 and died in 1957, and that she got her training in Philadelphia. During her career, she produced numerous magazine covers (including some for The Saturday Evening Post) and calendar illustrations. She also produced paper-dolls in book form, and is known for her paintings of children and their pets. This is another $20-$30 puzzle...in 1998.

This is the kind of stuff I dream of finding someday in a garage sale or at a charity shop...but so far, not even close. 

As I looked at these images, it suddenly struck me that all these kids are very white and all-American looking, but at first thought, I just wrote that off as a sign of the times. But, you know, it's not all that much different today when I see puzzles featuring cute children. If I've missed a bunch of puzzles portraying minority children, please let me know. I would like to be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment