Sunday, May 20, 2018

Milton Bradley Big Ben Puzzle: Cactus Slim and His Cowboy Crooners


"Cactus Slim," Milton Bradley Big Ben, 2000 pieces, 24 x 32 inches

I made my usual Sunday morning stop at a nearby Tuesday Morning store today, and walked out with a puzzle that still makes me smile to think about it. This is one of those rare times that two of my hobbies/passions collide in a way that seems just about perfect. Oh sure, I've got a bunch of puzzles featuring baseball (a perfect mesh for me) or books and/or bookstores (another perfect mesh for me), but this is a first for me: a jigsaw puzzle featuring old-time country music and singers.

I'm always on the look-out for unusual puzzles anyway, those that don't fit the list of usual suspects: puzzles featuring cats, dogs, wolves, fairies, unicorns, glitter, lighthouses, castles, Kinkaid, Wysocki...you know the drill. When I see something different, I almost always grab if it it's priced reasonably...but one featuring a country music band? I knew I would be buying this one no matter the price. As it happened though, "Cactus Slim and His Cowboy Crooners"  turned out to be a real bargain; a 2000-piece puzzle that was marked at $6.99, already a bargain price - and then I found out that the ding on the bottom of the box was worth another ten percent off even that low price.

Bottom of the box:



If you look carefully, you can see the tear around the tire and fender of the bus where the box-bottom got punched in by something. I haven't opened the puzzle yet, but I'll be making a repair from the inside because this is a puzzle I plan to add to my permanent collection.

Just another reminder of why I love puzzling so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment