Thursday, April 19, 2018

Jan van Haasteren Puzzles: Goodwill Store Finds


"Tall Ship Chaos," Jumbo Puzzles, 1000 pieces, 20 x 27

I make a regular circuit of visits searching for puzzles to the three Goodwill Stores within a few miles of my house (mainly because I've got to be in two of the parking lots everyday anyway for other reasons) but I find them to be a hit-and-miss proposition. But this week has been a real puzzle bonanza for me, with the three mentioned in the previous post, and now these EIGHT Jan van Haasteren "comic puzzles."

Now comes the rub, though. I've never worked one of these before and have no idea how I'm going to react to them. But the Goodwill Store that I found these puzzles at has a one-third off discount for senior citizens every Wednesday, so who could possibly resist getting eight puzzles for a grand total of $9.02? Well, not me. The puzzles do strike me as "love them or hate them" puzzles, but there's only one way to find out for sure.

"Seashore" and "Track Meet," CEACO, 550 and 750 pieces, 24 x 18

"Soccer" and "The Fire Station," CEACO, 550 pieces each, 24 x 18

As you can see, the puzzles seem to have been purchased over a few years by one collector/puzzler. Information on the boxes indicates that the puzzles were first produced between 2011 and 2015, and during that time the CEACO company seems to have changed it's box style to the more durable one shown just above. The eight puzzles break down this way: three at 1000 pieces, two at 750 pieces, and three at 550 pieces, all in all, a pretty good haul.

"The Winter Fair," Jumbo Puzzles, 1000 pieces, 20 x 27

"The Zoo," Jumbo Puzzles, 1000 pieces, 20 x 27

"Emergency Room," CEACO, 750 Pieces, 24 x 18

So I suppose this is the beginning of a new Jan van Haasteren collection or it's the beginning of a huge disappointment. Time will tell...can't wait to find out.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic finds! I like that first 'Tall Ship Chaos' one and 'The Winter Fair'. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cath. I DO hope I enjoy them - because I have eight of them and they are too big to be paperweights or door-stops.

    Are puzzles like these popular in Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I see these cartoon puzzles around quite a lot. In fact I found a 5000 piece one in a charity shop a couple of weeks ago. I left it there (bought an 'art' 4000 piece one instead) as I really don't have anything big enough to do that size puzzle on. Nor the 4000 piece one either to be honest but it was so lovely I couldn't leave it there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could take a steady diet of cartoon puzzles, so having eight of them on the shelf right now is very likely going to turn out to be a "lifetime supply." I don't really have the space for anything over 2000, but that seems to be my natural limit anyway...at least for now.

    ReplyDelete